Rhode Island Lineup
Caputo (SS), DeRegis (CF), Corin (LF), Quinn (1B), Gardella (C), O'Connell (DH), Taveras (2B), Lynch (3B), Olmo (RF), Bowditch (P)
Henry (CF), Franco (SS), Kerr (1B), Sredojevic (3B), Van Boom (DH), Massey (RF), Huntley (C), Kukowski (LF), Shulman (2B), French (P)
How it Happened
Rhode Island (9-31) put seven consecutive hitters on with two away in the eighth, rallying back from a 7-4 deficit for the 12-7 win over in-state rival Brown.
Redshirt freshman TJ Lynch started the rally with a leadoff single to left field before advancing to second on a perfectly placed bunt by sophomore Ryan Olmo. Olmo left the Brown defense with no play at all as he tapped the ball half way down the third-base line, where it stopped just shy of rolling foul. Juniors Tim Caputo and Nick DeRegis followed with a pair on line-outs to right and center, respectfully, but Mike Corin kept things going with a single to short that loaded the bases.
Pat Quinn (walk), Derek Gardella (hit by pitch) and Shane O'Connell (walk) were each awarded free passes to to push across Lynch, Olmo and Corin and even the sore at 7-7.
The Rams were not done there though. Freshman Martin Taveras kept the rally going with a two-run single to left and Lynch followed with his second hit of the inning - an RBI single up the middle - to give URI a 10-7 edge. Olmo followed suit, collecting his second hit of the frame in the form of a two-run double that punctuated Rhode Island's eight-run eighth.
Trailing 2-0 after one, Brown (12-23) scored four in the second, added another in the seventh and two more in the eighth to move ahead 7-4 before URI staged its dramatic comeback.
Inside the Box Score
- Rhode Island's eight-run eighth marked the team's best offensive inning this season.
- With 14 hits to Brown's 12, the Rams have now out-slugged their opponents in four consecutive games. Prior to this stretch, URI had yet to out-hit its opponent in back-to-back games this season.
- Five different Rams recorded multiple hits on the day, led by TJ Lynch's three knocks. Lynch finished 3-for-5 with two runs scored and an RBI.
- Hitting in the nine hole, Ryan Olmo went 2-for-4 with a two-run double and a run scored.
- Lynch and Olmo both had two hits in the bottom of the eighth.
- Rhody's 2-4 hitters - Nick DeRegis, Mike Corin and Pat Quinn - each collected a pair of hits while the 5-7 hitters - Derek Gardella, Shane O'Connell and Martin Taveras - combined for eight RBI.
- DeRegis also stole a base and scored twice while Corin crossed the plate three times.
- In his first start behind the dish, Gardella drew three walks, was hit by a pitch and singled through the left side. He finished the day with three RBI and one run scored.
- O'Connell reached four times on a pair of walks, a base hit and a fielder's choice. He also drove in three runs and scored once.
- Matt Ferraiolo earned the win - his second of the season - as he closed out the game with an inning and a third of scoreless relief.
- Evan Flanagan allowed just two hits and one unearned run over five complete frames. He entered the game in the third, in relief of Tyler Bowditch, who gave up four runs (all earned) on six hits over a 2.0-innings start.
- Brown's Jake Spezial was responsible for seven runs (all earned) over 1.2 innings of work. Nathan Mann was charged with the loss, giving up three runs (all earned) on three hits and a walk with two away in the eighth.
The Rams return to Bill Beck Field on Tuesday afternoon, when they host Boston College in a doubleheader beginning at 2:30 p.m.