Rhode Island Lineup
Foreman (3B), Taveras (LF), O'Connell (C), Quinn (DH), Hetzel (RF), Lynch (1B), Sherburne (CF), Hopkins (2B), Warnock (SS), Bowditch (P)
College of Charleston Lineup
Butler (2B), Pappas (1B), Haidt (SS), Murray (LF), Wise (3B), Boykin (DH), Glazer (RF), Welke (C), Pastorius (CF), Helvey (P)
How it Happened
Rhode Island (1-4) trailed 4-0 heading into the top of the fourth where a two-out double by freshman TJ Lynch plated classmate Dan Hetzel to get the Rams on the board. However, the College of Charleston (4-1) quickly extended its lead in the bottom of the frame when Gunnar Heidt's two-run homer put the Cougars up 6-1.
Charleston scored once more, though - in the top of the sixth - to take the 7-3 win.
Inside the Box Score
- Redshirt senior Shane O'Connell and freshman TJ Lynch each singled and doubled for the Rams. O'Connell drove in a pair of runs while Lynch had one RBI.
- Freshmen Dan Hetzel and David Hopkins both had a 1-for-3 night at the plate with one run scored.
- Sophomore Connor Foreman scored the only other Rhode Island run, after drawing a fifth-inning walk.
- Senior Tyler Bowditch took the loss, scattering nine hits and allowing seven runs (three earned) over 5.1 innings of work.
- Redshirt freshman reliever Blaise Whitman retired each of the five batters he faced before being replaced by classmate Matt Ferraiolo, who - in his first career appearance - tossed a scoreless eighth inning.
- Charleston's 1-3 hitters - Blake Butler, Nick Pappas and Gunnar Heidt - combined to go 7-for-12 with five RBI and five runs scored.
- The Cougar's pitching staff recorded 11 stikeouts on the night, including six from starter Nathan Helvey who picked up his first win of the season.
- Rhode Island started the game with six newcomers in the lineup: junior Mike Sherburne and freshmen Martin Taveras, Dan Hetzel, TJ Lynch, David Hopkins and RJ Warnock.
The Rams and Cougars return to Patriots Point for game two of the series, Saturday at 3 p.m.