Rhody's Starting Lineup
Roy (CF), Caputo (SS), Foreman (1B), LeBel (3B), Stenhouse (RF), Fortunato (2B), O'Connell (C), Quinn (DH), Lee (LF), Furney (P)
St. Joe's Starting Lineup
Forgey (RF), Kancylarz (3B), Muha (1B), O'Keefe (C), Hueth (LF), Kumpel (DH), Cirillo (SS), Renner (2B), Kratochwill (CF), Thorpe (P)
How it Happened
Rhode Island (33-22, 16-7) took a 2-0 lead in the top of the first as Jeff Roy scored on a fielder's choice ball by Mike LeBel, who later crossed the plate on an RBI double by Kevin Stenhouse. The Rams pushed it to 7-0 in the bottom of the second, plating five runs on five hits, a walk and a hit batsman. `
Saint Joseph's (26-25, 12-11) got two back in the bottom of the second and each team scored once in the third to put Rhody on top 8-3 after three complete frames.
The Rams tacked on three more in the top of the fourth as Stenhouse scored on triple by Pat Fortunato, who then crossed the plate on a single up the middle by Shane O'Connell. O'Connell went on to score the final run of the frame on a passed ball that made it an 11-3 game.
SJU responded with a pair of runs in the bottom of the fifth, but URI added one in the seventh and another in the eighth to push its lead back to eight at 13-5. The Hawks added one more in the bottom of the eighth and two in the ninth but were unable to get any closer as Rhody held on for the 13-8 victory.
Inside the Box Score
- Ten different players recorded at least one hit for the Rams, who out-slugged St. Joe's by a 19-13 margin. The Rams have now recorded 10-or-more hits in each of their last seven games.
- Jeff Roy, Pat Fortunato, Jesse Lee and Kevin Stenhouse each recorded three hits for URI. Roy and Lee each scored twice while Stenhouse and Fortunato each drove in a pair of runs.
- Mike LeBel went 1-for-3 with three RBI and two runs scored. Tim Caputo also scored twice and drove in a run.
- Sean Furney (7-3) allowed three runs on six hits and two walks over a three-inning start. Despite not pitching the minimum five innings, he earned the win due to the fact that he was on an abbreviated/predetermined pitch count leading into next week's Atlantic 10 Championship.
- Cole Warren, Joe Landi and Nick Narodowy combined for six innings of relief. Warren and Landi each allowed one hit over two innings of work while Narodowy struck out four over his two innings on the hill.
The Rams and Hawks return to Smithson Field to close out the series at Noon on Saturday.