Rhody's Starting Lineup
Landi (LF), Roy (CF), LeBel (3B), Stenhouse (RF), Quinn (C), Fortunato (2B), Foreman (1B), O'Connell (DH), Caputo (SS), Bradstreet (P)
St. Joe's Starting Lineup
Forgey (RF), Kancylarz (3B), Muha (1B), O'Keefe (C), Hueth (LF), Kumpel (DH), Cirillo (SS), Renner (2B), Kratochwill (CF), Mullen (P)
How it Happened
Rhode Island (32-22, 15-7) jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the top of the second as Tim Caputo doubled down the left field line to plate Connor Foreman and Tim Caputo, who had strung together back-to-back one-out singles. Caputo then advanced to third on Joe Landi's single back to the mound before scoring URI's third run of the game on a fielder's choice ball by Jeff Roy.
Saint Joseph's (26-24, 12-10) got a solo shot from Mike Muha in the bottom of the eighth, making the score 3-1, but Connor Foreman pushed URI's lead back to three as he scored on a wild pitch in the top of the ninth.
The Hawks then put runners on second and third with one away in the bottom of the ninth, but Brad Applin got a foul out before ending the game on a called third strike to lock up the 4-1 victory.
Inside the Box Score
- Tim Caputo collected three hits and two RBI while also scoring a run of his own.
- Connor Foreman crossed the plate twice on a 2-for-5 day at the plate.
- Jeff Roy went 1-for-3 with a pair of walks and an RBI.
- Mike Bradstreet (7-5) picked up the win, allowing just four hits while fanning five over six scoreless innings of work.
- Brad Applin was credited with his second save of the season, retiring each of the three batters he faced in the bottom of the ninth, including a game-ending strikeout.
- St. Joe's starter Kyle Mullen took the loss, allowing three runs on seven hits and five walks. Entering today's game, Mullen had gone 13-0 over his last 20 Atlantic 10 regular-season starts with the Hawks winning each of those 20 games.
The Rams and Hawks return to Smithson Field for game two of the series, Friday at 1 p.m.