Rhody's Starting Lineup
Landi (LF), Caputo (SS), Roy (CF), LeBel (3B), O'Connell (C), Fortunato (2B), Foreman (1B), Quinn (DH), Lee (LF), Furney (P)
St. Bonaventure's Starting Lineup
Jutca (LF), Radwan (2B), Rosencrance (P), Urban (3B), Inghram (1B), Johnson (CF), Heath (RF), Lohrer (C), Meredith (SS)
How it Happened
With the score tied 2-2 in the bottom of the ninth, Jeff Roy ripped a lead-off triple into left centerfield before the Bonnies intentionally walked both Mike LeBel and Shane O'Connell, bringing Kevin Stenhouse to the plate with bases loaded and no outs. St. Bonaventure (17-22, 7-10) then brought an outfielder in to play directly at second base, leaving just two men in the outfield - one in left center and the other in right center. Stenhouse - who had recorded just one hit in his last nine plate appearances - laced the first pitch he saw into right field to drive in Roy for the walk-off win.
St. Bonaventure had taken a 2-0 lead in the sixth, capitalizing on a shaky defensive effort by the Rams, who committed each of their three errors in that one frame. Rhode Island (27-21, 11-6) came back in the bottom of the seventh though, as Jesse Lee led off with a double to left center and scored on a sac-fly by LeBel. O'Connell followed with an opposite field single that drove in Tim Caputo and evened the score at two apiece.
Inside the Box Score
- Jesse Lee reached four times for the Rams as he collected three walks and a double. He also scored the Rams' first run of the game and had a big outfield assist on a 7-4-3 play that ended the the eighth inning.
- Jeff Roy also got on base four times - picking up a pair of walks, a triple and a bunt single - while also scoring the game-winning run in the bottom of the ninth.
- Shane O'Connell went 2-for-4 on a pair of opposite field singles and drove in the game-tying run, with two away in the bottom of the seventh.
- Rob Curran (4-0) earned the win for Rhody, tossing two thirds of an inning for his second victory of the week. He relieved Brendan Doonan in the top of the ninth - with runners on first and second - and came up with an outstanding defensive play to complete an inning-ending 3-6-1 double play.
- Sean Furney allowed just one earned run over a seven-inning start. He struck out a season-high 10 batters - six swinging and four looking. For the season, Furney has recorded 67 strikeouts, opposite just 19 walks.
- Ryan Winton took the loss for the Bonnies, allowing two hits and three walks - as well as the game-winning run - in one complete inning of relief. He faced four batters in the ninth without recording an out.
- SBU's Billy Urban went 3-for-4 with a run scored while Thad Johnson was 2-for-2 with a walk.
The Rams return to Bill Beck Field for their final home game of the season, Sunday at Noon. Prior to the start of the game, URI will hold a brief ceremony to recognize its eight graduating seniors.