How it Happened
In Game One, the Rams and Musketeers battled through eight scoreless innings before Xavier plated an unearned run in the bottom of the ninth for the 1-0 walk-off win.
In Game two, Rhode Island put together a five-hit first inning to take the early 2-0 advantage. Rhody held on to the lead until the bottom of the seventh when Xavier's Joe Forney evened things up with a two-run shot to left field. The score remained knotted until the top of the 13th when a fielder's choice ball by Connor Foreman plated Shane O'Connell. Pat Quinn then delivered a bases-clearing triple to give Rhody a four-run cushion. Bobby Dean went on to retire the Musketeers in order in the bottom of the frame, sealing the 6-2 victory.
Inside the Box Score
- Rhode Island out-hit Xavier, 22-13, over the course of the doubleheader.
- Joe Landi led the Rams as he combined to go 4-for-8 with a pair of runs scored.
- Tim Caputo, Pat Fortunato and Mike LeBel each collected three hits.
- Shane O'Connell, Connor Foreman, Pat Quinn and Jeff Roy each had a pair of hits as well.
- Defensively, LeBel recorded 10 assists and two putouts while Caputo had nine assists.
- Roy and Caputo each had a stolen base for the Rams.
- Kevin Stenhouse reached base in each game, extending his streak to 28 consecutive games.
- In the first game, Sean Furney tossed 6.1 shutout innings, striking out six and walking just one. He was relieved by Brad Applin, who gave up just two hits and one unearned run despite being charged with the loss
- Steve Moyers earned the start in game two and gave up five hits over 8.2 innings. He allowed two runs and walked none.
- Bobby Dean closed things out and earned the win, fanning five batters and allowing zero hits over 3.2 innings of relief work.
The Rams return to action on Tuesday afternoon when they host Boston College at 3:30 p.m.