Rhody's Starting Lineup
Caputo (SS), Roy (CF), LeBel (3B), Quinn (C), Fortunato (2B), Stenhouse (RF), Foreman (1B), Famiglietti (LF), Landi (DH), Bradstreet (P)
Xavier's Starting Lineup
Elwell (CF), Paligraf (SS), Hasenbeck (C), Nittoli (LF), Forney (1B), Eberhardt (DH), Forrester (RF), Schoettmer (3B), Chidemo (2B), Richard (P)
How it Happened
Rhode Island (24-18, 9-4) got two of its three hits in the top of the third but was unable to advance a runner beyond second base. The Rams had a trio of runners reach the following inning, but again were unable push any runs across. Derek Hasenbeck then homered for Xavier (22-18, 9-4) in the bottom of the fourth before Mark Elwell's infield single scored Stephen Schoettmer in the bottom of the seventh to put the Musketeers up, 2-0.
XU's Jon Richard retired 10 consecutive Rhody batters from the fifth to the eighth, where Joe Landi drew a one-out walk. However, he was the last Ram to get on base as Xavier picked up the 2-0 victory.
Inside the Box Score
- Since the first meeting between URI and XU (in 2006), nine games have been decided by a single run and 18-of-25 have been decided by three or less.
- Despite allowing just four hits over his complete-game start, Mike Bradstreet was charged with the loss. He struck out five and walked one while tossing his fifth complete game of the season.
- Xavier's John Richard went the distance as well, striking out one and giving up just two walks and three hits over nine complete frames.
- Rhode Island stranded five base runners on the afternoon while Xavier left seven men on base.
- No player in the game had more than one hit. Tim Caputo, Pat Quinn and Joe Landi accounted for Rhody's three while Xavier's four came from four different players.
- Kevin Stenhouse drew a fourth-inning walk to extend his reached base streak to a team-high 26 consecutive games.
The Rams and Musketeers return to Hayden Field for game two of the series, Saturday at 1 p.m.