Roy (CF), Caputo (SS), Quinn (C), LeBel (3B), Stenhouse (RF), Fortunato (2B), Foreman (1B), O'Connell (DH), Landi (LF), Bradstreet (P)
Fordham's Starting Lineup
Swatek (CF), Runco (2B), Mauri (1B), Galiano (C), Sorine (RF), Edminston (3B), McNally (LF), Conway (DH), DeVito (SS), Charest (P)
How it Happened
Rhode Island (16-17, 4-3) struck first, opening the game with back-to-back-to-back singles that loaded the bases for Mike LeBel, who drew a walk to push across Jeff Roy and give Rhode Island an early 1-0 advantage. Pat Fortunato then scored on Joe Landi's two-out single in the fourth to make it 2-0 URI, but Fordham (12-21, 1-6) plated one in the bottom of the frame to cut Rhody's lead in half at 2-1.
Fordham then moved ahead 3-2 after scoring a pair in the bottom of the fifth, but Rhody came right back in the sixth, evening things up at three apiece when Kevin Stenhouse scored from second on an RBI single by Shane O'Connell.
Roy went on to score what proved to be the game-winning run in the top of the ninth as he crossed the plate on a passed ball after reaching base on a lead-off walk.
Inside the Box Score
- As a team, Rhode Island collected 10 hits in the win. Each of URI's nine hitters reached at least once.
- Pat Fortunato, Joe Landi and Pat Quinn led the Rams with two hits each. Fortunato also scored a run while Landi picked up his sixth RBI of the season.
- Jeff Roy scored twice on a 1-for-4 day at the plate. He also reached once on a walk.
- Shane O'Connell and Mike LeBel each finished with an RBI while Kevin Stenhouse had the team's lone stolen base.
- Mike Bradstreet tossed his fourth complete game of the season, improving to 5-3 on the season. He walked just one batter while striking out five over nine innings.
- Joseph Charest took the loss for Fordham, allowing four runs (all earned) over 8.1 innings of work. Joseph Runco led Fordham at the plate with three hits on the night.
The Rams return to Houlihan Park for game two of the series, Saturday at 4 p.m.