Rhody's Starting Lineup
Roy (CF), Caputo (SS), Quinn (DH), LeBel (3B), Stenhouse (RF), Fortunato (2B), Foreman (1B), O'Connell (C), Landi (LF), Furney (P)
Massachusetts' Starting Lineup
Cusick (2B), Graef (LF), McLam (DH), Campero (1B), Picard (RF), Cavanaro (CF), Yanakopulos (3B), Jennings (C), Scifo (SS), Grant (P)
How it Happened
Massahusetts (4-16, 1-4) got the only scoring it would need in the top of the fifth, plating a pair of two-out runs off of Rhody starter Sean Furney. The Rams (13-16, 2-3) managed to put a pair of runners on base in the bottom of the inning - as well as in the eighth - but were unable to advance anyone beyond second base.
Inside the Box Score
- Despite allowing just two runs on five hits over a 8.0-inning start Sean Furney (3-3) was charged with the loss. He struck out seven batters and walked none.
- Furney's scoreless streak came to an end at 28.1 innings when UMass scored a pair of runs in the top of the fifth.
- Andrew Grant (2-3) earned the win for the Minutemen, allowing just four hits over a complete game shutout.
- Joe Landi went 2-for-3 for the Rams while Shane O'Connell reached twice on a base hit and a walk.
- Rhode Island's 1-6 hitters combined to go 0-for-21 on the afternoon.
- Nik Campero had two of Massachusetts' six hits while Rob McLam doubled for the only extra-base hit of the game.
Rhody and UMass return to Bill Beck Field to close out the series at Noon on Sunday.