Rhody's Starting Lineup
Roy (CF), Caputo (SS), Quinn (C), LeBel (3B), Stenhouse (RF), Fortunato (2B), Foreman (1B), O'Connell (DH), Landi (LF), Bradstreet (P)
Massachusetts' Starting Lineup
Graef (LF), Sanford (2B), McLam (DH), Campero (1B), Picard (RF), Yanakopulos (3B), Jennings (C), Scifo (SS), Jauss (P)
How it Happened
Massachusetts (3-16, 0-4) struck first, taking a 1-0 lead in the top of the first when Rob McLam scored on an RBI double by Nik Campero. However, Rhode Island (13-15, 2-2) moved in front in the bottom of the second after Pat Quinn belted a two-out grand slam to put URI on top 4-1. An RBI groundout by Kevin Stenhouse plated Jeff Roy in the fourth, but UMass scored again in the fifth to make it a 5-2 game.
That was as close as the Minutemen would get though, as the Rams tacked on three more in the sixth and another in the seventh for the 9-2 win.
Inside the Box Score
- Both UMass and URI recorded eight hits on the afternoon, but the difference in the game was command on the mound.
- Rhode Island sent 10 different hitters to the plate in the game and each was walked at least once. Over their eight innings in the field, the Minutemen combined to throw 175 pitches and issue 12 walks.
- Winning pitcher Mike Bradstreet went the distance for the Rams, using an even 100 pitches over nine innings - 75 of which were thrown for strikes. He issued just one walk and fanned five.
- UMass' DJ Jauss took the loss as he allowed five runs (all earned) on two hits and eight walks over a 3.0-innings start.
- Pat Quinn powered the Rams' offense with a 2-for-3 day at the plate. He ripped a two-out grand slam to go along with a stand-up double, reached on a walk, scored twice and drove in five runs.
- Jeff Roy reached base four times, on two hits and a pair of walks. He also scored three runs and stole a pair of bases, improving to a perfect 14-14 in stolen base attempts this year.
- Kevin Stenhouse drove in two runs on a 1-for-3 day at the plate. He also walked twice and picked up his ninth stolen base of the season.
- Joe Landi also swiped a bag, scored twice and reached twice on a hit and a walk.
- Mike LeBel made several outstanding playsfor the Rams at third base, finishing the day with seven assists and one putout.
- Rob McLam accounted for half of UMass' hits, going a perfect 4-for-4 at the plate.
Rhody and UMass return to Bill Beck Field on Saturday afternoon. First pitch is set for 1 p.m.