Rhody's Starting Lineup
Roy (CF), Caputo (SS), Landi (RF), LeBel (3B), Quinn (DH), Foreman (1B), Fortunato (2B), O'Connell (C), Famiglietti (LF), Moyers (P)
Dayton's Starting Lineup
Hundley (CF), Sunderman (3B), Broughton (2B), Huesman (DH), Berry (1B), Schutzius (SS), Podlas (RF), Skochdopole (LF), Robinett (C), Dant (P)
How it Happened
Rhode Island (11-14, 1-2) took a 1-0 lead in the first inning when junior Jeff Roy scored on redshirt senior Mike LeBel's RBI single through the left side. The Rams then pushed it to 3-0 in the fourth as redshirt senior Pat Fortunato and redshirt junior Shane O'Connell both crossed the plate to give Rhody the three-run lead.
Dayton (7-15-1, 2-4), however, stormed back with a five-run fifth and doubled Rhody up at 6-3 after adding another in the top of the seventh.
The Rams got something going in the bottom of the eighth as freshman Connor Foreman led off with a base hit, and Fortunato appeared to follow with a walk. However, what the Rams thought was ball four ended up a called third strike and Foreman was quickly picked off as he began jogging to second.
Rhody put runners on first and second in the bottom of the ninth, but the Rams were unable to do any additional damage as Dayton held on for the 6-3 win.
Inside the Box Score
- Rhode Island outhit Dayton, 9-7, but stranded 10 base runners on the afternoon.
- Redshirt seniors Mike LeBel and Pat Fortunato each had a pair of hits for the Rams. Fortunato doubled twice and scored a run while LeBel added an RBI.
- Junior Jeff Roy walked once, scored once and drove in a run while classmate Shane O'Connell scored once and had an RBI-double in the bottom of the fourth.
- Freshman Steve Moyers cruised through five innings and fanned six batters before getting into trouble in the top of the sixth. In the no-decision start, he was charged with three runs (two earned) on four hits and a walk.
- Redshirt senior Bobby Dean took the loss, giving up a three-run homer which put Dayton ahead for good in the top of the sixth.
- Dayton's Joe Wahl (1-3) tossed four innings of scoreless relief to pick up the win while Nick Weybright came on in the ninth to post his third save of the year.
The Rams are back in action Tuesday afternoon at Northeastern. First pitch is set for 3:00 p.m.