Rhody's Starting Lineup
Landi (LF), Caputo (SS), Quinn (DH), LeBel (3B), Stenhouse (RF), Fortunato (2B), O'Connell (C), Foreman (1B), Roy (CF), Furney (P)
Dayton's Starting Lineup
Hundley (CF), Sunderman (3B), Broughton (2B), Podlas (RF), Huesman (DH), Schutzius (SS), Ryan (1B), Skochdopole (LF), Robinett (C), Buettgen (P)
How it Happened
Rhode Island (11-13, 1-1) jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the bottom of the first as junior Joe Landi and sophomore Tim Caputo both crossed the plate after opening the frame with back-to-back singles. A Dayton throwing error on a double steal by seniors Mike LeBel and Kevin Stenhouse allowed LeBel to score and put the Rams on top 3-0 in the third before Caputo came home on a seventh-inning sac fly by LeBel to seal the 4-0 win.
Dayton (6-15-1, 1-4) managed just two hits on the afternoon and was unable to advance either runner beyond first base.
Inside the Box Score
- Senior starter Sean Furney threw just 83 pitches in the complete-game victory. Despite allowing a pair of singles, Furney faced the minimum 27 batters over nine complete frames. He struck out four while walking none.
- Furney - who got 15 groundouts on the afternoon - also helped his cause defensively, recording a team-high five assists to go along with two putouts.
- Furney has now pitched 23.2 consecutive scoreless innings, dating back to his March 16 start at Winthrop.
- Offensively, Rhode Island recorded 11 hits while limiting Dayton to just two. Junior Pat Quinn and freshman Connor Foreman led the way with three each.
- Sophomore Tim Caputo went 2-for-3 with two runs scored while redshirt senior Mike LeBel had a pair of hits, scored once and drove in a run.
- Dayton's Noah Buettgen was charged with the loss, allowing four runs (three earned) on 11 hits over eight innings of work.
- Ian Hundley and Robby Sunderman each singled once for the Flyers' only hits of the game.
The Rams and Flyers return to Bill Beck Field to close out the series at Noon on Sunday.