Rhody's Starting Lineup
Roy (CF), Caputo (SS), Quinn (DH), LeBel (3B), O'Connell (C), Fortunato (2B), Stenhouse (RF), Foreman (RF), Famiglietti (LF), Mantle (P)
UMass Lowell's Starting Lineup
Consolmagno (CF), Sanchez (LF), Katsiroubas (2B), Ricoy (RF), Devlin (3B), Parker (DH), O'Keefe (C), Gendron (1B), Rooney (SS), Cole (P)
How it Happened
Rhode Island (10-12) got things started in the bottom of the third when Jeff Roy ripped a double to right field, stole third and then scored on an infield single by Tim Caputo. Rhody added another run in the bottom of the fourth when Pat Fortunato crossed the plate to make it 2-0.
The Rams tacked on five more in the bottom of the fifth - recording five hits, a walk and seven stolen bases - before closing out the scoring with a three-run seventh.
UMass Lowell (12-6) managed just two hits on the afternoon, both coming off of Rhody starter Milan Mantle. Relievers Joe Landi (1.0 IP), Brendan Doonan (1.0 IP) and Tyler Bowditch (1.0 IP) combined to face the minimum nine batters over the final three innings of play.
Inside the Box Score
- Rhode Island finished the day with 16 hits while holding UMass Lowell to just two on the afternoon.
- The Rams' pitching staff did not issue any walks over the course of the game.
- Each of URI's starters recorded at least one hit with Tim Caputo, Pat Fortunato and Connor Foreman collecting three apiece.
- Foreman also stole three bases, scored twice and drove in a run while Fortunato had two runs scored and a stolen base.
- Caputo drove in a pair of runs and scored once while recording seven assists at shortstop.
- Shane O'Connell had two RBI on a fifth-inning double.
- Milan Mantle picked up the win for Rhode Island, allowing just two hits over six shutout innings. UMass Lowell's Taylor Robinson was charged with the loss.
The Rams return to Bill Beck Field this weekend as they open Atlantic 10 play with a three-game series against defending Atlantic 10 Champion Dayton.