Rhody's Starting Lineup
Caputo (SS), Roy (CF), LeBel (3B), Fortunato (2B), Stenhouse (RF), Livingston (DH), O'Connell (C), Foreman (1B), Famiglietti (LF), Furney (P)
Hofstra's Starting Lineup
Stuart (CF), Ehrsam (RF), Jackson (LF), Hammer (1B), Reistetter (C), Perez (SS), Hall (DH), Nardo (3B), Nyman (2B), Burg (P)
How it Happened
Rhode Island (9-11) plated the only runs it would need in the bottom of the third as sophomore Tim Caputo and redshirt senior Chris Famiglietti scored a pair of unearned runs off of Hofstra starter Joe Burg. The Pride (5-16) managed to put just four men on over nine frames - two on a pair of singles and two by way of walk.
Inside the Box Score
- Today's victories over Hofstra extend Rhode Island's winning streak to seven in a row. The Rams are now 9-2 over their last 11 games, after opening the season with nine consecutive losses to nationally ranked teams.
- It also marked URI's third shutout win of the season.
- Sophomore Tim Caputo paced the Rhody offense, going 2-for-4 with a run scored.
- Junior Jeff Roy and redshirt Pat Fortunato each picked up an RBI in the win. Roy also had three stolen bases on the day.
- Starter Sean Furney continued his mastery of opposing hitters, allowing just two hits over 7.1 innings of shutout ball. He also fanned seven and issued just two walks on the afternoon.
- Redshirt senior Bobby Dean closed out the game for URI, facing the the minimum five batters over the final 1.2 innings. Over his last three appearances, Dean has allowed just one hit, struck out six batters and earned three straight saves.
- Hofstra's Joe Burg took the loss, allowing six hits over a 6.2-inning start. He was charged with two unearned runs, which proved to be the difference in the game.
The Rams and Pride return to Bill Beck Field to close out the series at Noon on Sunday.