Rhody's Starting Lineup
Roy (CF), Caputo (SS), Quinn (C), LeBel (3B), Stenhouse (RF), Fortunato (2B), Foreman (1B), Livingston (DH), Famiglietti (LF), Moyers (P)
Winthrop's Starting Lineup
Bateman (CF), Edwards (SS), Dolan (LF), Whitley (RF), Smith (3B), Vogel (DH), Wallace (1B), Lowrie (2B), Barber (C), Klitsch (P)
How it Happened:
Rhode Island (6-11) took a 2-0 lead in the fifth inning when freshman Chase Livingston reached on an error before scoring from first on redshirt senior Chris Famiglietti's double down the left field line. Junior Jeff Roy then singled to plate Famiglietti and put the Rams up 2-0.
Winthrop (5-14) got a run back in the bottom of the eighth - charged to junior Tyler Bowditch - but a huge defensive play by redshirt senior Mike LeBel prevented the tying run from crossing the plate. The Eagles threatened in the bottom of the ninth, putting runners on first and second with one away, but redshirt senior Bobby Dean came in and ended things with a pair of strikeouts for the second day in a row.
Inside the Box Score:
- Freshman Steve Moyers made his first career start on the mound for the Rams. Over seven shutout innings, he struck out six batters and allowed just one hit - to the first batter he faced. After that, he went on to retire 19 consecutive batters until issuing his first and only walk of the day in the bottom of the seventh inning. With the victory, he improves to 2-0 on the season.
- Redshirt senior Bobby Dean picked up his second save in as many days, ending the game with a bases-loaded strikeout to preserve the 2-1 win.
- Winthrop finished the day with four hits - all but one charged to the Rhody bullpen.
- Redshirt senior Chris Famiglietti accounted for both Rhode Island runs, driving in freshman Chase Livingston before crossing the plate himself.
- Redshirt senior Mike LeBel went 2-for-4 with a double while Kevin Stenhouse reached three times, going 1-for-2 with a pair of walks.
- Tyler Klitsch took the loss for Winthrop, giving up two runs (both unearned) on five hits over 5.2 innings of work.
After opening the season with 17 consecutive road games, the Rams return to Kingston for their home opener vs. Sacred Heart, Tuesday afternoon at 3:30 p.m.