Rhody's Starting Lineup
Roy (CF), Caputo (SS), Quinn (C), LeBel (3B), Stenhouse (RF), Fortunato (2B), Foreman (1B), Gardella (DH), Famiglietti (LF), Bradstreet (P)
Winthrop's Starting Lineup
Bateman (CF), Daniels (2B), Dolan (LF), Altman (1B), Olesczuk (DH), Whitley (RF), Wallace (3B), Edwards (SS), Barber (C), Pierpont (P)
How it Happened:
Rhode Island (4-11) got at least one hit in each of the first five innings, but did not get on the board until the top of the sixth when redshirt senior Pat Fortunato's two-run double plated classmate Mike LeBel and junior Pat Quinn. Fortunato then came around to score on an RBI single by freshman Connor Foreman. Sophomore Tim Caputo, LeBel and Quinn all singled with two away in the ninth to cap off the 4-0 win.
Inside the Box Score:
- Senior Mike Bradstreet tossed his second consecutive complete-game shutout, striking out six batters and walking none. Bradstreet - who threw 77 of his 99 pitches for strikes - has not issued a walk in his last 20.2 innings pitched. Additionally, he has now thrown 23 consecutive scoreless innings - the second best career total at URI.
- Redshirt seniors Pat Fortunato and Mike LeBel each had three hits in the win. Fortunato also finished with two RBI while LeBel scored once and had a stolen base. Of their combined six hits, three were doubles.
- Junior Jeff Roy also had three hits, including his first triple of the season.
- Freshman Connor Foreman went 2-for-4 with an RBI, marking his third multiple-hit game of the season.
- Sophomore Tim Caputo singled in the ninth, extending his reached base streak to a team-leading 12 consecutive games.
- As a team, Rhode Island outhit Winthrop, 15-5. The Rams also stranded 10 runners while the Eagles left five on base.
- WU starter Matt Pierpont took the loss, allowing three runs (all earned) on 12 hits over an 8.0-inning start.
The Rams and Eagles return to Winthrop Ballpark for game two of the series, Saturday at 3 p.m.