Rhody's Starting Lineup
Caputo (SS), Roy (CF), LeBel (RF), Fortunato (2B), Livingston (1B), O'Connell (C), Gardella (DH), Foreman (3B), Famiglietti (LF), Distasio (P)
UNC Greensboro's Starting Lineup
Wolfe (RF), Leach (CF), Edwards (DH), Enzor (1B), Moye (C), Spina (SS), Kalbfleisch (LF), Guite (3B), Marrero (2B), Browne (P)
How it Happened:
Rhode Island (3-11) sent 13 batters to the plate in the top of the first, scoring nine runs on five hits and five walks and chasing UNCG starter Brandon Browne out of the game after just a third of an inning. The Spartans (8-7) got three back in the bottom of the second, but junior Jeff Roy and sophomore Tim Caputo both scored for URI in the third to make it an 11-3 game.
UNCG put up three runs in the bottom of the fourth, but Rhode Island countered again in the top of the fifth, matching the output after an RBI double by redshirt senior Pat Fortunato and a two-run single by redshirt junior Shane O'Connell.
Rhody added another run in each of its next two trips to the plate to take a 16-6 lead before the Spartans scored again in the bottom of the seventh.
The Rams tacked on two more in the top of the eighth to move ahead 18-7 before UNCG ended the scoring with a one-run ninth.
Inside the Box Score:
- Junior Jeff Roy went 3-for-5 with five runs scored, two RBI, two stolen bases and seven putouts in centerfield.
- Redshirt junior Shane O'Connell drove in six runs on three hits while also scoring once.
- Sophomore Tim Caputo went 2-for-4 with four runs scored.
- Redshirt senior Mike LeBel was 2-for-5 with three RBI and a run scored. He made his first-ever start in right field and closed out the game at third base.
- Redshirt senior Pat Fortunato finished with two hits, two runs scored and two RBI while freshman Connor Foreman had a pair of hits and an RBI.
- Freshman reliever Steve Moyers earned the win, tossing two-thirds of an inning without allowing a hit. UNCG's Brandon Browne took the loss, giving up six runs (all earned) on two hits and four walks over a 0.1-inning start.
- URI and UNCG combined to use 16 pitchers on the night - eight apiece.
- Today's game marked just the second time this season that Rhody scored in the first inning. The only other time the Rams got on the board in the opening frame was in their 8-6, extra-innings loss to #9 Florida State.
- Rhode Island had four freshmen in the starting lineup, including pitcher Lou Distasio, who became the first rookie to earn a start on the hill this season.
Rhody travels to Winthrop for a three game series starting Friday at 6 p.m. The Rams face the Eagles on Saturday and Sunday with first pitch set for 3 p.m. and 1 p.m., respectively.