Rhody's Starting Lineup
Landi (2B), Caputo (SS), Roy (CF), LeBel (LF), Quinn (DH), Fortunato (1B), Foreman (3B), O'Connell (C), O'Sullivan (P)
Notre Dame's Starting Lineup
DeSico (2B), Bull (DH), Jagielo (3B), Mancini (1B), Markson (CF), Kutsulis (RF), Richards (SS), Hudgins (LF), Johnson (C), Hearne (P)
How it Happened
Rhode Island (2-9) closed out play at the Irish Classic with a 4-3 win over host school and 22nd-ranked Notre Dame (8-2). Tied 3-3 with two away in the top of the ninth, Pat Fortunato reached on a error and then advanced to third on a base hit by Kevin Stenhouse. Fortunato then came around to score what would prove to be the winning run when Connor Foreman laced a single up the middle to put Rhody on top 4-3.
Inside the Box Score
- Bobby Dean picked up the win on the hill, allowing just one hit over six scoreless innings of relief work. He has now pitched 12.0 consecutive scoreless innings, striking out seven batters and allowing just four hits over that span.
- Making his first career start for the Rams, Connor Foreman went 2-for-4, scored once and drove in game-winning run in the top of the ninth.
- Shane O'Connell also went 2-for-4 with a run and an RBI while Tim Caputo drove in a pair of runs on his third-inning single.
- Mike LeBel made his first-ever start in the outfield for the Rams, playing all nine innings in left field.
- As a team, Rhody strung together eight hits while limiting Notre Dame to six.
- The Irish committed five errors on the afternoon, but only one of URI's runs ended up being unearned.
- Eric Jagielo and Trey Mancini each finished with two hits for UND. Reliever Nick McCarty was charged with the loss, giving up two hits and one unearned run over the game's final two innings.
The Rams return to action on Sunday, March 10 when they travel to Johnson City, Tenn. for the first of two games at ETSU.