Rhody's Starting Lineup
Landi (2B), Caputo (SS), Roy (CF), LeBel (3B), Quinn (DH), Stenhouse (RF), Fortunato (1B), O'Connell (C), Famiglietti (LF), Sterner (P)
Mississippi State's Starting Lineup
Frazier (SS), Bradford (CF), Fullerton (DH), Detz (1B), Norris (3B), Armstrong (LF), Hann (2B), Henderson (RF), Ammirati (C), Woodruff (P)
How it Happened
Rhode Island (0-8) jumped out to a 1-0 lead in the top of the second before fifth-ranked Mississippi State (11-0) responded with a four spot in the bottom of the third to lead 4-1 after three complete. The Rams made it a one-run game (4-3) in the top of the fifth but the Bulldogs stormed back once again - this time plating 13 additional runs over the next three frames to lead 17-3 - before URI tacked on its final two runs in the top of the eighth.
Inside the Box Score
- Mississippi State held a 14-7 advantage in hits.
- Pat Fortunato led URI at the plate, going 2-for-4 with a walk and a run scored.
- Shane O'Connell also reached three times, drawing a pair of walks and singling in the seventh.
- Ty Sterner took the loss, allowing four runs (all earned) on two hits, four walks and a hit batsman over a 2.0 inning start.
- As a staff, six different Rhody pitchers combined to strike out 13 batters, but also walked seven and hit five.
- Ross Mitchell picked up the win for MSU, tossing 1.1 innings of scoreless relief.
- Offensively, Adam Frazier and Alex Detz led the Bulldogs as each went 3-for-4 with two runs scored. Sam Frost drove in a game-high four runs for MSU.
The Rams return to action at this weekend's Irish Classic in Cary, N.C. There, Rhody will face No. 25 Virginia Tech, Ohio University and No. 22 Notre Dame.