Rhody's Starting Lineup
Roy (CF), Landi (2B), LeBel (3B), Quinn (DH), Fortunato (1B), Stenhouse (RF), Famiglietti (LF), O'Connell (C), Caputo (SS), Furney (P)
Ole Miss' Starting Lineup
Mathis (LF), Anderson (SS), Bousfield (CF), Turner (C), Orvis (1B), Allen (DH), Mistone (3B), Jamison (RF), Overbay (2B), Mayers (P)
How it Happened
No. 8 Ole Miss (6-0) scored the only run of the game on a two-out single by Austin Knight in the bottom of the ninth inning to drive in Cameron Dishon and give the Rebels a 1-0 victory Saturday.
Rhode Island (0-5) put its leadoff batter on base in the sixth, eighth and ninth innings, but was unable to break through against four Ole Miss pitchers. The Rams loaded the bases in the sixth and eighth innings, then had a runner in scoring position in the final frame. They came up empty in each frame.
Inside the Box Score
- Starting pitcher Sean Furney turned in a strong outing, hurling eight-plus scoreless innings. Furney allowed just three hits, one walk and two hit batsmen while striking out seven batters. He allowed the leadoff hitter to reach in just three of nine frames, one of those coming on an error, and he did not allow a runner past second base. In 12 innings this season, Furney has allowed just seven hits and one run.
- Until the winning run was scored, Rhode Island pitchers had combined to hold Ole Miss scoreless since there were no outs in the third inning of Friday's game, covering a stretch of 14.2 innings.
- Sophomore Tim Caputo had a strong day at the plate. He singled and walked twice in four plate appearances. Caputo has drawn four walks through the first five games of the season.
- Junior Jeff Roy had a single to give him at least one hit in all five games this season. His hitting streak is seven games, dating back to last season.
- Joe Landi, Pat Fortunato and Shane O'Connell each had one single for the Rams. Of Rhode Island's 32 hits through five games, 28 have been singles.
- This was the second time in five games Rhody has lost to a ranked opponent via a walk-off hit. No. 9 Florida State won with a home run in the bottom of the 10th inning on Feb. 17.
The series finale at Swayze Field Field at Oxford-University Stadium will be Sunday at at 2:30 p.m. Junior Liam O'Sullivan is expected to make the start for Rhode Island.