Rams Fall at No. 9 Florida State, 11-5, in Season Opener
Rhody's Starting Lineup
Roy (CF), Famiglietti (LF), LeBel (3B), Stenhouse (1B), Fortunato (2B), O'Connell (C), Gardella (DH), Landi (RF), Caputo (SS), Bradstreet (P)
Florida State's Starting Lineup
Delph (RF), Gonzalez (SS), Stewart (CF), Nogowski (1B), Davis (DH), McGee (C), Winston (LF), Brizuela (3B), Sansone (2B), Leibrandt (P)
How it Happened
No. 9 Florida State (1-0) scored in five of the first six innings, including a two-out grand slam in the bottom of the sixth that broke the game open en route to a 11-5 win over Rhode Island (0-1) Friday in the season opener for both teams.
Of the first 11 runs scored by the Seminoles, seven of the batters reached base via either walk or hit by pitch. Though the Rhody pitchers allowed just seven hits, they combined for six walks and five hit batters.
Inside the Box Score
- Redshirt senior Mike LeBel made his return to the Rhode Island lineup after sustaining a season-ending injury just 13 at-bats into the 2012 season. He made his presence felt, going 2-for-4 with three runs batted in, one run scored and one stolen base. LeBel hit the 26th home run of his career to extend his school record.
- Sophomore Tim Caputo singled twice, walked, scored one run and drove in one in four plate appearances. The shortstop also had a team-high four assists and two putouts defensively.
- Senior Mike Bradstreet earned the start on the hill for the Rams - his first since 2010. Prior to today's start, the Rhody righty had made 57 consecutive appearances out of the bullpen, picking up 10 saves as URI's closer last season. Over 3.1 innings of work, Bradstreet allowed six runs, all earned, on six hits.
- Making his first-ever appearance for the Rams, freshman Derek Gardella was Rhody's starting DH. He was hitless in three at bats.
- Junior Jeff Roy stole home on the back end of a double steal with LeBel. Roy is the first Ram to steal home since Tom Coloumbe did so at Richmond on April 24, 2011.
- Freshmen Steve Moyers and Brad Applin were the first two pitchers out of the pen for Rhode Island. Moyers struck out the first batter he faced, and allowed one run on one hit and four walks in 1.1 innings of work. Applin also pitched 1.1 innings, allowing four runs on one hit and three hit batsmen. Applin did strike out three batters.
- Rob Curran and Tyler Bowditch each pitched one inning of perfect relief for Rhode Island.
- Florida State hit for the cycle as a team with its first four hits of the game – D.J. Stewart doubled, Marcus Davis homered and Stephen McGee singled in the first before Justin Gonzalez tripled in the second.
- FSU starting pitcher Brandon Leibrandt is the son of former Major League Baseball pitcher Charlie Leibrandt, who won 140 games in a 14-year career. The younger Leibrandt pitched five innings, allowing four earned runs on five hits in five-plus innings.
The Rams return to Mike Martin Field at Dick Howser Stadium for Game Two of the series, Saturday afternoon at 2 p.m.
- 04/22/14: Rhode Island Comeback Falls Short...
- 04/22/14: Tim Caputo's CBD Journal - Entry #5
- 04/20/14: Quinn's Ninth-Inning Blast Leads...
- 04/19/14: Rams Held Scoreless in Second...
- 04/18/14: George Mason Takes Series Opener...
- 04/18/14: Rhody Baseball to Take on George...
- 04/15/14: Run the Bases for Joey's Fund to...
- 04/16/14: Rams Edged 5-4 at Stony Brook
- 04/15/14: SCHEDULE UPDATE: Baseball Game at...
- 04/13/14: Rams Fall in Finale at Dayton, 9-5
- 04/12/14: Dayton Escapes Pitcher's Duel With...
- 04/11/14: Six-Run Seventh Leads Dayton Past...
- 04/11/14: VIDEO: "Thank You, You Really...
- 04/09/14: Baseball Falls to Bryant, 8-3
- 04/08/14: Distasio Named CSM's Atlantic 10...
- 04/08/14: Tuesday's Baseball Game at...
- 04/07/14: Distasio Earns Atlantic 10 Pitcher...
- 04/07/14: #SAOTW: Lou Distasio and Jocelyn...
- 04/06/14: Distasio's One-Hit Gem Leads Rhody...
- 04/05/14: Rhody Blanked by Fordham, 3-0
Bill Beck Field (Kingston, R.I.)
Bill Beck Field (Kingston, R.I.) | Audio: WRIU 90.3 FM (WRIU.org FM Stream)
Live stats Audio