Rhode Island Completes Series Sweep with 13-0 Win at St. Bonaventure
Rhody's Starting Lineup
Roy (CF), Famiglietti (LF), Cammans (1B), Adams (C), Stenhouse (RF), Fortunato (2B), Quinn (DH), Haverstick (3B), Caputo (SS), Furney (P)
St. Bonaventure's Starting Lineup
Brennan (CF), Radwan (2B), Ingraham (1B), Urban (3B), Skellie (RF), Grieco (C), Meredith (SS), Jutca (LF), Lohrer (DH), Johnson (P)
How it Happened
Rhode Island (21-14, 9-3) picked up its first Atlantic 10 series sweep of the season with a 13-0 victory, Sunday afternoon at St. Bonaventure. The Rams have now won each of their four A-10 sets and lead all conference teams with nine wins in league play.
Hitless after three trips to the plate, Rhody exploded for six runs on five hits in the fourth inning – all of which came with two away. The Rams added another five in the seventh and two more in the eighth for the 13-0 win.
Defensively, URI allowed just nine base runners on the afternoon. Only two reached second and neither advanced any further.
Inside the Box Score
- The win was the Rams' sixth in a row and 15th in their last 18 games. It also marked Rhode Island's third shutout victory of the season.
- Sean Furney pitched another gem for the Rams, picking up his fourth win of the season in his second consecutive combined shutout. He took a no-hitter into the sixth inning and finished with six strikeouts and just two hits over seven innings of work. Furney has now allowed just one earned run over his last 31.1 innings pitched. Additionally, over his last four appearances, he has lowered his ERA from 7.36 to 1.70.
- Brendan Doonan closed out the game with three strikeouts and just one hit over two scoreless innings.
- At the plate, Rhode Island matched its season-high with seven extra-base hits. 2B: Jeff Roy, Pat Fortunato, Kevin Stenhouse, Pat Quinn. 3B: Stenhouse. HR: Dan Haverstick, Milan Adams.
- Roy reached base a team-high four times on two hits and two walks. He has now reached base in 24 consecutive games for the Rams.
- Haverstick and Stenhouse finished with three hits apiece. Haverstick also had three RBI while Stenhouse scored three times.
- In addition to Stenhouse and Haverstick, four other Rams turned in multiple-hit performances as Roy, Fortunato, Quinn and Chris Famiglietti each had two. Quinn, Fortunato and Adams all scored twice while Famiglietti and Quinn drove in a pair of runs.
The Rams return to action at Boston College on Tuesday afternoon.
- 04/22/14: Rhode Island Comeback Falls Short...
- 04/22/14: Tim Caputo's CBD Journal - Entry #5
- 04/20/14: Quinn's Ninth-Inning Blast Leads...
- 04/19/14: Rams Held Scoreless in Second...
- 04/18/14: George Mason Takes Series Opener...
- 04/18/14: Rhody Baseball to Take on George...
- 04/15/14: Run the Bases for Joey's Fund to...
- 04/16/14: Rams Edged 5-4 at Stony Brook
- 04/15/14: SCHEDULE UPDATE: Baseball Game at...
- 04/13/14: Rams Fall in Finale at Dayton, 9-5
- 04/12/14: Dayton Escapes Pitcher's Duel With...
- 04/11/14: Six-Run Seventh Leads Dayton Past...
- 04/11/14: VIDEO: "Thank You, You Really...
- 04/09/14: Baseball Falls to Bryant, 8-3
- 04/08/14: Distasio Named CSM's Atlantic 10...
- 04/08/14: Tuesday's Baseball Game at...
- 04/07/14: Distasio Earns Atlantic 10 Pitcher...
- 04/07/14: #SAOTW: Lou Distasio and Jocelyn...
- 04/06/14: Distasio's One-Hit Gem Leads Rhody...
- 04/05/14: Rhody Blanked by Fordham, 3-0
Bill Beck Field (Kingston, R.I.)
Bill Beck Field (Kingston, R.I.) | Audio: WRIU 90.3 FM (WRIU.org FM Stream)
Live stats Audio