Rhody's Starting Lineup
Roy (CF), Famiglietti (LF), Cammans (1B), Quinn (C), Annarummo (RF), Stenhouse (DH), Fortunato (2B), Haverstick (3B), Caputo (SS), O'Sullivan (P)
Iona's Starting Lineup
Torres (CF), Smith (RF), Burke (DH), Chiaravalloti (1B), Beck (C), Lyall (LF), Kriss (SS), Hratko (3B), Capowski (2B), Basile (P)
How it Happened
Rhode Island (10-12) jumped out to a 5-0 lead after two innings, and stretched it to 9-0 after four, cruising to a 10-4 victory over Iona (9-14) on Tuesday afternoon. The Rams finished with a season-high six stolen bases, eight walks and five doubles. The Gaels didn't get on the board until scoring two in the top of the seventh, one in the eighth and one in the ninth.
Inside the Box Score
- Rhody starter Liam O'Sullivan (1-0) picked up his first career win, allowing just three hits and fanning five over five shutout innings.
- Jeff Cammans went 3-for-4 with three RBI, two stolen bases and a run scored. He drove in what would prove to be the winning run with a bases-loaded, two-out double in the bottom of the second.
- Jeff Roy (2H, 1BB), Dan Haverstick (2H, 1BB) and Kevin Stenhouse (1H, 2BB) reached base three times as well, with Haverstick also scoring twice and driving in a pair of runs.
- Chris Famiglietti was hit by a pitch in two at-bats and crossed the plate twice for URI.
- Ty Sterner relieved O'Sullivan in the top of the sixth and got out of the inning without allowing a hit.
- Jay Ferri also pitched an inning for the Rams, making his Rhody debut in the top of the eighth.
- Iona's Steve Basile took the loss as he gave up nine runs (eight earned) on seven hits while walking five in 4.0 innings of work. Rob Ambrosino tossed three scoreless innings before Kyle Warden gave up a run in the ninth.
Rhode Island travels to Philadelphia for a three-game set at Saint Joseph's. The Rams and Hawks will play at 3 p.m. on Friday, 1 p.m. on Saturday and Noon on Sunday.