Rhody's Starting Lineup
Roy (CF), Famiglietti (LF), Cammans (DH), Quinn (1B), Adams (C), Annarummo (RF), Fortunato (2B), Landi (3B), Caputo (SS), Furney (P)
Charlotte's Starting Lineup
Brown (CF), Roland (SS), Montalbano (RF), Basen (3B), Shive (DH), Gallello (2B), Seager (1B), Rodriguez (C), Clemmons (LF), Rothlin (P)
How it Happened
Rhode Island (9-12, 2-1) picked up its second-ever series win over the 49ers with a 5-1 victory on Sunday afternoon at Bill Beck Field. Charlotte (12-12, 1-2) earned a #1 ranking in the Atlantic 10 preseason poll while URI was picked to finish second.
The Rams got all they needed in the bottom of the second when Pat Fortunato's two-run shot cleared the left field fence to put Rhody on the board first. An RBI single by Fortunato plated Adams in the fourth to make it 3-0 before Charlotte's Corbin Shive scored on a wild pitch in the fifth.
URI tacked on its final two runs in the bottom of the seventh as Annarummo scored on a bunt single by Tim Caputo and Joe Landi crossed the plate when Jeff Cammans was hit by a pitch with bases loaded.
Inside the Box Score
- Sean Furney (2-0) earned the win, holding Charlotte to just six hits over eight innings in his first start of the season. He allowed the Niners just one run on the afternoon – on a wild pitch – and threw 69 of his 100 pitches for strikes. Prior to the outing against Charlotte, Furney's longest appearance had been two innings of relief at Cal State Northridge.
- Furney was relieved by Brendan Doonan – who retired the side in order – in the top of the ninth.
- Fortunato finished 2-for-2 with three RBI, a run scored and a stolen base. He also reached on a walk and had four assists and three putouts in the field.
- Adams also reached three times, going 2-for-3 with a walk and scoring a run in the fifth.
- Jeff Roy was the third Rhody player finish with two hits while Annarummo was the only Ram to score twice.
- Charlotte's starter, Chad Rothlin, was charged with the loss.
Rhode Island is back in action on Tuesday afternoon when it hosts Iona at 3:30 p.m.