Rhody's Starting Lineup
Famiglietti (LF), Roy (CF), Cammans (1B), Quinn (DH), Fortunato (2B), Adams (C), Annarummo (RF), Haverstick (3B), Caputo (SS), Pickering (P)
Charlotte's Starting Lineup
Brown (CF), Elseser (LF), Basen (3B), Montalbano (RF), Shive (DH), Gallello (2B), Seager (1B), Rodriguez (C), Roland (SS), Smith (P)
How it Happened
Rhode Island (8-11, 1-0) scored the only runs it would need in the bottom of the third, taking an early 4-0 advantage after runs by Greg Annarummo, Tim Caputo, Jeff Roy and Jeff Cammans. Meanwhile, Chris Pickering kept the Niners' bats quiet, never facing more than four batters an inning and taking a one-hitter into the sixth inning. It wasn't until the top of the seventh that Charlotte (11-11, 0-1) got on the board, scoring a pair of runs on a sac-fly and an RBI ground out. That was as close as the 49ers would get though, as Annarummo crossed the plate again in the bottom of the inning to lock up the 5-2 victory.
Inside the Box Score
- Roy led the Rams with two hits, a stolen base, a run and an RBI.
- Caputo also reached twice, going 1-for-2 with a walk, a run and an RBI.
- Collectively, the Rhode Island pitching staff held Charlotte to just five hits on the afternoon. It was the 49ers' second worst offensive performance of the season, with their 1-2-3 hitters combining to go 0-for-12 at the plate.
- Rhody starter Chris Pickering earned the win, improving to 2-4 on the season. He allowed just four hits over seven innings while fanning four batters.
- Joe Landi tossed a scoreless eighth to set up Mike Bradstreet's league-leading sixth save of the season.
- Andrew Smith (3-3) took the loss for Charlotte, giving up five runs (three earned) over a seven-inning start. The seven Rhody hits were more that Smith had allowed in any of his previous five starts.
Rhode Island and Charlotte return to Bill Beck Field for Game Two, Saturday at 1 p.m.