Rhody's Starting Lineup
Famiglietti (LF), Roy (CF), Cammans (1B), Annarummo (RF), Quinn (C), Fortunato (2B), Muller (DH), Haverstick (3B), Caputo (SS), Lee (P)
Sacred Heart's Starting Lineup
Phillips (2B), Flint (CF), Murphy (SS), McEvoy (LF), Boisture (1B), Perez (C), Charmello (DH), Gondek (RF), Byram (3B), Stoddard (P)
How it Happened
Tied at 1-1 after two innings of play, Sacred Heart (3-13) used a pair of extra-base hits to plate two runs and take its first lead of the afternoon (3-1) in the bottom of the third. However, Rhode Island (7-11) quickly evened things up in the top of the fourth, thanks to RBI singles by Pat Fortunato and Tim Caputo. The Pioneers scored again in the bottom of the fifth for a 5-4 advantage but URI reclaimed the lead when Chris Famiglietti tripled to score Dan Haverstick and then crossed the plate on an RBI ground-out by Jeff Roy.
Sacred Heart tied it up once more, in the bottom of the eighth, but ninth-inning runs by Famiglietti and Roy sealed the Rhody victory.
Inside the Box Score
- Famiglietti led the Rams offensively as he reached base four times on three hits – including a triple – and a walk. He also scored three times, stole three bases and drove in a run.
- Haverstick also reached four times as he went 1-for-1 with two walks and was hit by a pitch.
- Roy stole a pair of bases for the Rams, who matched their season high with five on the afternoon.
- Fortunato went 1-for-3 to extend his hit streak to a team-best 10 games.
- Joe Landi picked up the win, retiring both of the batters he faced in the eighth. Mike Bradstreet then grabbed his fifth save of the season after tossing a scoreless ninth.
- Chris Dionisio took the loss for the Pioneers, giving up two runs (both earned) on two hits and two walks over two innings of relief.
Rhode Island returns to action on Friday when it opens Atlantic 10 play against preseason favorite Charlotte. The Rams and 49ers will play at 3 p.m. on Friday, 1 p.m. on Saturday and Noon on Sunday. Prior to the start of Friday's game, URI will unveil a banner to retire Joey Ciancola's jersey number. The Ciancola family on hand for the ceremony.