Rhody's Starting Lineup
Roy (CF), Famiglietti (LF), Cammans (DH), Quinn (1B), Annarummo (RF), Adams (C), Fortunato (2B), Haverstick (3B), Caputo (SS), Dean (P)
Northridge's Starting Lineup
Ring (CF), Simis (1B), Barry (LF), Williams (RF), Bowen (C), Beck (DH), Balkan (3B), Attl (SS), Raslowsky (2B), Warner (P)
How it Happened
Rhode Island (5-8) struck first as Greg Annarummo gave the Rams a 1-0 advantage when he crossed the plate on a single by Pat Fortunato. CSUN (8-8) then scored two in the bottom of the frame but URI responded with a two-spot of its own in the third to reclaim the lead at 3-2. The Matadors plated two more in the fifth to move back in front at 4-3 before Milan Adams' two-out, two-run single gave Rhody the 5-4 advantage. Brendan Doonan then took the mound and retired six batters without allowing a hit before handing the ball over to Mike Bradstreet in the top of the ninth.
Inside the Box Score
- The win snapped URI's six-game slide, dating back to a March 2 loss at Vanderbilt.
- Pat Quinn, Chris Famiglietti and Dan Haverstick finished with two hits apiece for the Rams. Famiglietti also scored once while Quinn and an RBI and scored what proved to be the winning run.
- As a team, Rhode Island combined for 11 hits, marking the first time since the Vanderbilt series that the Rams hit in double digits.
- Sean Furney (1-0) earned the win on the mound while Mike Bradstreet picked up his third save of the season.
- Bobby Dean allowed just three hits in a no-decision start for the Rams. He struck out two batters while walking four and surrendering two runs. Furney was responsible for the remaining Matador runs – although neither was earned – as he gave up two in two innings of relief work.
- Doonan fanned four of the eight batters he faced and did not allow a hit over two scoreless innings.
- Harley Holt took the loss for Northridge, allowing two runs (both earned) on five hits over 3.2 innings of relief.
The Rams return to Matador Field to close out the mid-week series vs. Northridge, Wednesday at 6 p.m. Eastern (3 p.m. Pacific).