Rhody's Starting Lineup
Roy (CF), Landi (3B), Cammans (LF), Stenhouse (RF), Fortunato (2B), Adams (C), Muller (DH), Haverstick (1B), Caputo (SS), Lee (P)
Pepperdine's Starting Lineup
Vincej (SS), Gelalich (CF), Sever (2B), Cooper (LF), Brown (RF), Meyer (1B), Silverstein (DH), Davidson (3B), Grandpre (C), Frazier (P)
How it Happened
Pepperdine (10-4) took an early lead – plating five runs over the first two innings – and never looked back, claiming the series with a 7-1 victory in Game Two. Rhode Island (4-7) didn't get on the board until the top of the eighth when Dan Haverstick scored on Kyle Richards' first career hit – a single to left center. The Rhody bullpen held the Waves to just two runs over six innings, but the Rams were unable to push any additional runs across the plate.
Inside the Box Score
- The Rams struggled to get their offense going as Pepperdine's Scott Frazier retired 13 consecutive batters before Pat Fortunato singled up the middle for Rhody's first hit of the game.
- As a team, Rhode Island managed just six hits, two of which came from Fortunato and another two from Jeff Cammans.
- Haverstick scored the lone run for the Rams as he doubled in the eighth, advanced to third on a sacrifice bunt by Tim Caputo and crossed the plate on a two-out, pinch-hit single by Richards.
- Rhody put runners on first and third in the ninth, but a game-ending double play ball by Pat Quinn ended any chances of a late rally.
- Starter Kevin Lee took the loss, giving up five runs (four earned) on five hits over two innings. Relievers Brendan Doonan, Cole Warren and Matt Young combined to close out the game with three scoreless frames. Young, who came on in the bottom of the eighth, made his first-ever appearance for the Rams.
- Frazier went the distance for Pepperdine, allowing just one unearned run in his complete-game victory.
The Rams return to Eddy D. Field Stadium to close out the series, tomorrow at 4 p.m. Eastern (1 p.m. Pacific).