Rhody's Starting Lineup
Roy (CF), Fortunato (2B), Cammans (DH), Annarummo (RF), Quinn (1B), Adams (C), Haverstick (3B), Famiglietti (LF), Caputo (SS), Pisani (P)
Connecticut's Starting Lineup
Yavarone (CF), Martin (3B), Mazzilli (2B), Fuller (1B), Pavone (C), Verdi (SS), DeBellis (DH), Testani (LF), Aceto (LF), Marzi (P)
How it Happened
Rhode Island took advantage of costly UConn errors and plated a pair of unearned runs to down the Huskies, who had received votes in this week's national poll, 2-0. Sophomore Pat Quinn scored what proved to be the game-winning run in the fifth inning, crossing the plate on a two-out error after being hit by a pitch. Redshirt senior Jeff Cammans then added an insurance run in the bottom of the eighth, advancing to third on a perfectly executed hit-and-run ball by redshirt junior Greg Annarummo and then scoring on an error by the Huskies' centerfielder. Cammans had reached first on a dropped third strike with two away.
The victory over the Huskies gives Rhody a perfect 3-0 sweep at the Cougar Invitational as the Rams also defeated #29 College of Charleston (9-5) of Friday and Xavier (8-4) on Saturday. Rhode Island also defeated CofC (3-2) and UConn (18-3) at last year's Cougar Invitational. At the time, CofC was ranked #20 and UConn was #19.
Inside the Box Score
- With the win, URI improves to 4-2 while Connecticut drops to 2-4. The Rams also improve to 74-107-3 in the all-time series vs. the Huskies.
- Senior Anthony Pisani picked up his second win of the season, scattering just three hits and fanning five in six innings on the hill. Pisani also made two key defensive plays to help keep the Huskies off the board.
- Junior Mike Bradstreet retired three straight batters in the ninth to collect his second save on the year. The Lansdale, Pa. native has yet to allow a hit over 5.2 innings of relief work (three appearances) this season.
- Seniors Milan Adams and Dan Haverstick strung together back-to-back singles in the bottom of the seventh to end UConn's bid at the no-hitter. Up until that point, Connecticut starter Anthony Marzi had gone 6.2 innings without a allowing a Rhody hit.
- The Huskies' best chance at scoring a run came in the top of the seventh when they advanced a runner to third, but sophomore Nick Narodowy took over on the mound and got URI out of the jam.
- After today's performance, the Rams' bullpen has lowered its ERA to 0.45 throughout 20.0 innings so far this season. Eight different Rhody relievers have now combined to allow just one run on six hits while holding opponents to a .095 batting average.
The Rams head to Nashville (March 2-4) for a three game set against the nationally-ranked Commodores, who advanced to last year's College World Series.