Rhody's Starting Lineup
Roy (CF), Fortunato (2B), LeBel (SS), Cammans (DH), Annarummo (RF), Quinn (1B), Adams (C), Haverstick (3B), Famiglietti (LF), Pickering (P)
College of Charleston's Starting Lineup
Goodson (SS), Jackson (1B), Gantt (CF), Aldrich (RF), Harding (3B), Cody Martin (LF), Welke (C), Watts (DH), Heidt (2B), Renfro (P)
How it Happened
Rhode Island plated four unearned runs in the top of the first before the College of Charleston came back with three of their own in the bottom of the inning to make it a one-run game. The Rams went on to score three more in the second and led 7-3 until the bottom of the fifth when a pair of CofC runs cut URI's lead to two (7-5). Senior Mike LeBel then homered and classmate Jeff Cammans scored on a passed pall in the top of the sixth to put Rhody on top for good, 9-5.
Inside the Box Score
- The victory over No. 29 College of Charleston is head coach Jim Foster's eighth win over a top-30 team. URI has now defeated a nationally-ranked opponent in four consecutive seasons.
- URI improves to 2-2 on the season while handing the 29th-ranked Cougars (3-1) their first loss of the season. The Rams also improve to 2-0 all time against CofC as they downed the then-No. 20 Cougars, 3-2, last season.
- Rhode Island's bullpen has been near perfect this season, giving up just one hit and no runs over 13.1 innings of work. Against the College of Charleston, juniors Rob Curran and Mike Bradstreet each tossed two scoreless innings without allowing a hit.
- LeBel paced the Rams' offense as he went 3-for-5 with three runs, three RBI, a double, a home run and a stolen base. The sixth-inning solo shot was his program-leading 25th career home run while his three runs scored give him 158 total – just one shy of tying the all-time mark (159) at URI.
- Senior Milan Adams also turned in a multiple-hit performance, going 2-for-5 win an RBI, while sophomore Jeff Roy and redshirt junior Pat Fortunato each scored twice.
- Redshirt senior Chris Pickering struck out seven batters over five innings to pick up his first win of the season. His counterpart, Josh Renfro, was charged with the loss.
The Rams return to Patriots Point Field to take on Xavier in a non-conference matchup on Saturday at 1 p.m.